List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOffice 1.6 and kdebase
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-07-29 21:39:40

Hello,

Since KFormula was using a KIO slave to install fonts, some distribution,
rightly so, made KFormula and KOffice depends on kdebase 3.5. Since more and
more distributions are moving from 3.5 to 4.0, while there is no stable
release of KOffice for 4.0, this become a problem. But this dependency is
only a runtime dependency, that can be safely removed, in the worse case that
would mean that some fonts used by KFormula are not installed.

If you have an other dependency problem with 1.6, or compilation issues,
please contact us, we will try our best to make sure 1.6 can still be used
and compiled until 2.0 has been released.

On a side note, I had like to remind you, that it is *not* in the *best
interest* of the KOffice project, and most likely of the users of your
distibution to include an unstable version of KOffice, it would be better for
everyone not to include KOffice if you don't have anymore one of the 1.6
dependency (for instance kdelibs 3.3+).I take the liberty to do this reminder
since some of you have told me they were thinking about doing this, and I
have seen that the developement version of some distributions are including
2.0 alphas instead of 1.6.

--
Cyrille Berger