List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: ODF Lists
From:       Pierre <pinaraf () pinaraf ! info>
Date:       2008-07-28 10:56:46

On Monday 28 July 2008 12:47:00 Roopesh Chander wrote:
> It looks like headings need not be part of a list at all. This is how
> simple headings are to be handled. They should only become part of a
> qtextlist (or a koliststyle) if they're enclosed within <list> tags.
>
> This revelation :) was brought about with ODF1.1 section 14.1 'List
> style', which says:
> "A paragraph style and styles of other families that may contain
> paragraph properties can have an associated list style. This applies to
> automatic and common styles.
> The list style specified by the style:list-style-name attribute is only
> applied to headings and to paragraphs that are contained in a list,
> where the list does not specify a list style itself, and the list has no
> list style specification for any of its parents."
>
> This implies that:
> <text:h>Heading</text:h>
> should not have any list style applied on it (it consequently will have
> no numbering), but
> <text:list><text:list-item><text:h>Heading</text:h></text:list-item></text:
>list> will be part of a qtextlist. The list style of this qtextlist will be
> derived as it's done for paragraphs (check if there's a list style
> specified on the <text:list> itself, or maybe it's parent list? Else the
> paragraph's list style. Barring all, look at default list style.)
>
> However, ODF1.1 section 14.11 'Outline style' says (quoted earlier):
> "The outline style is a list style that is applied to all headings
> within a text document where the heading's paragraph style does not
> define a list style to use itself."
>
> In my understanding, this means that if there's an outline level
> specified, all headings not within a <text:list> (which would otherwise
> have been without a qtextlist), will have to be added to the qtextlist
> corresponding to the outline style's qtextlist (for the heading's
> outline level).
>
> So my take aways from these two snips from the specs (which are
> completely different from what I was thinking of headings before) are:
>    a) there can be headings which are associated with no list style - in
> kword terms, they need not be part of any qtextlist
>    b) heading blocks should be part of a qtextlist if and only if
>       either (b1) the heading is part of a <text:list>
>           or (b2) the styles.xml specifies an outline-style
>    c) user can change association of list styles to headings using the
> stylemanager ui in the same way as is done for paragraphs.
>
> In fact, this implies that headers are really a lot like paragraphs (the
> only difference being they need to be included in the TOC) and not at
> all like lists.
That's what I was saying one or two weeks ago, and that's why there is
something in KoTextBlockData now for headings.
But I stopped discussing and agreed putting it in a list because it seemed to
be simpler...
Right now, I can't really look at this issue, I'm working since a week on
something much funnier, more information will come later...