List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple tool dockers
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2008-07-08 5:19:24

On Monday 07 July 2008, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will tell the reason why I liked the idea. Based on my own experience
> with using a laptop with a small screen (1280x800) and desktop computer
> with a dual screen setup (1920x1200 / 1280x1024). I organize dockers and
> screen space completely differently on those two setups (and everybody I
> have seen, do the same), each time, the goal is to maximize the efficiency,
> on the small screen the dockers are tabbed together, to maximize the canvas
> space. On the big screens, they are untabbed (and if my xorg setup would
> allow it, I would have the work space on the 1920x1200 monitor, and all
> dockers on 1280x1024 untabbed, like I did with photoshop/indesign on
> windows some years ago).
>
> That said, from IRC discution with Casper and others, and reading the
> relevant part of your emails, it is clear that we *all* have concerns over
> the automagically appearing dockers/tabs. So lets work together on this, on
> defining how it should behave.
>
> If there are bugs, and issue with the code for that features, it goes
> without saying that it needs to be fixed.

I had the idea of having something like vertical tabbed dockers to solve the
problem of not having enough space to fit for all needed dockers. Some
dockers are only needed for special tasks e.g. setting up an shape animation
or slide transition. To enable them by hand all the time is not really
userfriendly.

So back again to my idea about tabbed dockers:
- Make it possible to have vertical tabbed dockers where the default is that
different tabbed areas contain different dockers depending on the task that
you want to accomplish.
- Make it possible for the user to configure the dockers the way he wants.
Also with creating own tabs as he likes.

If the problem can also be solved by having multiple dockers per tool I'm all
for it.

Thorsten