List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Tables on multiple pages
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2008-06-27 16:09:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 27 June 2008 16:51:49 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 27. June 2008 11:48:27 Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> > Hmm, you speak of making each table page derive from KoTextAnchor? This
> > would result in a set of anchors and the user becomes able to insert text
> > between the table pages. This should be avoided. Or did I missed an
> > important fact?
>
> You need one instance of the anchor and one instance of a table shape for
> each page, yes.  Otherwise it won't work (things like clicking and
> repainting of dirty areas need a shape).

... and the anchor to get the information about the text shape we are in, I
see. The text shape is a KoShapeContainer, but it isn't, because of
representing a set of pages, is it? 'Just' because you can insert other shapes
and anchor them? The page (or frame) creation/deletion is managed by KWord?
I want to use the table shape as another view mode in KSpread later. Just to
mention it; that does not prevent using kotext, but relying on KWord's
internals. :|

> I'm afraid that indeed the user could insert a character in between, I'm
> not sure how to fix that.  This is indeed one of the reasons that I want to
> have tables that are part of the text instead of drawn on top of the text.
> i.e. use QTextTable.
>
> But I don't think its a showstopper that a user can insert something in
> between, do you?

Well, it's a bit odd. Even more, if we support breaking the table inside a
row, i.e. the row's cell contents are painted until the page edge is reached
and continued on the other page. But also with breaking at cell edges, it can
be quite confusing. And what happens on laying out the table pages on position
changes? I guess, any inserted text is moved behind the table.

--
Stefan Nikolaus