List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: new layout of koffice apps
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2008-06-21 10:31:00

On Saturday 21 June 2008, Thomas Zander wrote:

> Boud, can you check your mailer settings, you sent a html mail :)

That wasn't the only problem I was having with kmail for kde4. Worse, it made
that setting standard for 1.9, too :-(. It started complaining about
certificates, forgetting passwords, removing all mail that came into my inbox
as spam... Thanks for warning me -- this one should be good.

> > Well, I'm afraid I don't agree with much of your proposal. The big
> > usability issues for me are the distance between the toolbox and the tool
> > option widget,
>
> Hard nut to crack :(
> Without abandoning some directions we took, I don't see how this can be
> solved.  I'm personally thinking that if we make the options have good
> defaults the issue is not really a show stopper.

Yeah. I don't think moving the tool options to a toolbar works well. A popup
widget under the mouse cursor could work, in the future, but we'd need to
spend serious time implementing and testing it.

> For instance I'd love the krita rectangle tool to have 'fill' be the
> foreground brush by default and 'stroke' be off by default.

Maybe here it would be better to have the tools remember their state: this
very much dependent on what a user usually does with a tool. I use the
rectangle tool to draw a cadre around things, mostly, not to block out areas.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi