List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Features freeze of koffice/kibs (Was: Re: koffice)
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-06-13 18:24:24

On Friday 13 June 2008, Pierre wrote:
> Sure, we lack ODF features. We probably always will lack features or
> just "this single line on a page of the spec that creates a specific
> behaviour that we don't support"...
> The problem is that we don't really know what is important, what is
> really needed.
> Using some documents I found around, I see only one badly missing
> feature for ODF Text : table support. Everything else seems to be
> quite good (ok, the anchor thing still has to be done).
> I discussed with a professor from the university of Illinois about
> ODF, and he wrote some test documents that are targetting "real world"
> usage, I'm gonna ask him whether we can use them or not...

I would be happy for 2.0, if :
 - in KWord : I can edit some text, change the style, and voila.
 - in KPresenter : I can put some texts and figures on a slide and start a
presentation

Of course, it's pretty limited and we can do better, and a lot of users will
expect more. But with that we allready cover a lot of use cases; (Or at least
a lot of mine) : write a letters, a fax ... Of course, I would dream to be
able to write my thesis in kword (in fact no, too much formula and stuff like
that, meaning latex is still going to be better for a long time, but well...)
or to have tables or ... But I can wait for KOffice 2.10 to see this, in the
mean time I would have been able to write my letters with KWord 2. Same goes
for KPresenter, it would be nice to be able to make fancy animations, include
video, have a story-mode (like the one imagined by Aaron), or for a fancy
list view of the slides... but I can wait for KOffice 2.10 to see this, in
the mean time, I would be able to make a presentation with a few lines of
text and images (which is about 99% of presentation I see, and the remaining
1% have video which are 99% of the time launch by hand) and use a simple list
view to go from slides to slides.

After discussing this on irc, rather than a hard freeze, it might be
reasonnable to have a soft freeze ala KDE. Meaning, people write down the
features they feel is basic for their applications in a wiki page, then we
give a month or two to implements. And then we can start rolling release. But
if you think that it is not a good idea to do a freeze of koffice/libs before
applications, lets do both at the same time, a little bit latter, what about
mid-july ?

To Thomas, a release before September is impossible. Since that would mean
making the release in August, which is usually not the most active month.

--
Cyrille Berger