List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Coding style
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 13:59:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 10. June 2008 15:02:58 Fela Winkelmolen wrote:
> So I
> agree with Casper Boemann when he says:
> > However. If we really mean this i think we should have a big coding style
> > refactoring. Mixing say case indent styles in old code is really bad.

I changed various classes in the textshape dir to have method declarations
with the { on the next line already some time ago.
I would have no problem with people making *separate* commits which change
whitespace like this.
I would personally think doing a huge conversion based on some auto-formatter
is not a great idea, it tends to not be fool proof. 10 years worth of coding
styles, I'm sure something will break. Also not all changes will make things
more readable if done by a machine ;)
But, again, having some commits to change the coding style to be more in line
with Qt/KDELibs coding style sounds fine to me.

> One pet peeve of mine is long lines: I find code _much_ easier to read when
> an effort is made to keep lines short. Personally I avoid writing lines
> longer that 80 characters.

The style says;
 "Try to keep lines shorter than 100 characters, inserting line breaks as
necessary. "

I'm probably guilty of going over as I have good eyes and an extremely small
font which makes my terminal hold 160 characters ;)
Don't take that as a preference for longer lines for me!
--
Thomas Zander