List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    page layout dialog
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2008-06-03 7:59:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

A long time ago, on 2007-08-07 7:19:04, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Saturday 04 August 2007 12:15:31 Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> > Â Add a warning that the page layout dialog needs porting. Someone
> > disabled it.
>
> I disabled it. Guilty as charged ;)
> The 1.6 implementation used a couple of classes from koguiutil, like kword
> and kpresenter did as well.
> I created a completely new layout dialog in KWord because the data files
> they manipulate have been extended and KWord got a lot of functionality
> extra. And the old code didn't use ui files.
>
> So, to avoid having 2 completely different dialogs and implementations the
> goal is to;
>
> 1) find out why not all apps that can print have a page-layout dialog.

If an app works only with one page, one could rely for the basic settings
(page size, orientation, margin) on the page setup provided by the print
dialog. Unfortunately, this dialog can't be replaced or just extended by
further tabs (yet?).
I'd like to have the same page setup dialog for all apps. But where to put it?
That depends on the apps' page layout usage:

* KWord
	for each individual page
* KSpread
	for each sheet
* KPresenter/Kivio (KoPageApp based)
	document-wide; could be per page
* all other apps
	document-wide; apps print only one page

For the apps, that define the layout per single page, it is in the Format
menu. The other apps could place it there too, if the menu would exist in
each app. For them, better put it into the File (document) menu unless we can
replace the page setup dialog in the print dialog. The page setup dialog in
the print dialog should be disabled then.

> 2) find out exactly which features present in the KWord dialog are needed
> by the various other apps.

I took the Page Layout Formatting Properties of the OpenDocument spec and
tried to sort them into tabs and groups:
* Page tab
	Page size
	Paper tray
	Print orientation
	Margins
	Columns (Does that make sense for other apps than KWord? If not, hide it.)
* Border tab (could be adapted from KSpread)
	Border
	Border line width
* Background tab/group
	Background
	Shadow
* How-can-we-call-this tab
	* Numbering group
		Page number format
		First page number
	* Paragraph? group
		Padding (the inner borders of text frames?)
		Register-truth (What's that?)
	* Footnotes group
		Maximum footnote height
		Footnote separator
* Sheet tab (spreadsheets only)
	Print (various options, e.g. default grid)
	Print page order
	Scale
	Table centering

The page tab is mostly done by either QPageSetupDialog or KWord's page layout
dialog. The former can't be extended by further tabs and does not support the
Columns setting, too.

> 3) move the relevant code to the libs (i.e. split the kword part)
> 4) make the apps use it.
>
> Any help is appreciated :)

I second that statement. ;)
Comments, especially about the ordering, are welcome. Other related thoughts,
too, of course.

--
Regards,
Stefan