List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice as the default in Kubuntu 8.10?
From:       Valerie <valerie_vk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-05-26 3:25:16

> What does Jonathan want to do about support for Microsoft Office
> 98-2003 files?  Unfortunately I think the reality is that an office
> suite without this will be a non-starter for a significant
> proportion of users.

This is why I was so excited about Microsoft's "implementation" of
odf. Even if they do a lousy job, the users can be explained that
"KOffice does not support older Microsoft formats, but both
Microsoft Office 2007 and KOffice support .odf. *insert
instructions on how to convert the files to .odf"

If MS Office does a Bad job of implementing .odf, it is then its
own loss, much like how nobody uses MS Office to do html (because
the output is huge and plain lousy).

However, as I've said, even with MS Office implementing odf, it
will take years before it becomes widespread, since not that
many people have switched to Office 2007 yet. Still, it may be
just a matter of time.