List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOffice as the default in Kubuntu 8.10?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2008-05-23 13:08:09

Hey people,

As some of you know, I spent last weekend in Prague at the Ubuntu Fosscamp.
Fosscamp is where Canonical invites people from "upstream" to discuss things
which will have an impact on the next version of Ubuntu Linux.

The immediate reason that I was invited is that Jonathan Riddell, the Kubuntu
guy, wants to include KOffice 2.0 as the default office suite in Kubuntu
8.10. We discussed this at some length, but I wasn't confident enough to
say "go for it!" without sending an inquiry here.

This is both a great opportunity and a great risk.  We now have the option to
really get KOffice 2.0 out there to a lot of users.  At the same time, it's a
risk that 2.0 isn't good enough so that the initial impression of KOffice is
bad for a lot of new users.

My gut feeling is that we want this, but perhaps wait for KOffice 2.1 or even
2.2 and Kubuntu 9.04 in april 2009.  What do you think? This is very tightly
coupled to what we will release this summer, when 2.1 will be out and what we
will manage to do for the releases in question.

	-Inge