List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Tables for KWord, next iteration
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2008-05-17 6:44:09

On Thursday 15 May 2008 23:26:22 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> Tables are still a huge thing and one that affects a lot of our current
> code what means, it would be nice to continue the discusions we had so far
> [1].
>
> Possibilities;
>
> 1. TableShape
> I guess this is really the worst thing to go since it would mean we would
> need one textshape per cell and that sounds like a bad idea specially for
> large tables.

May I ask why?  Does the textshape has a big overhead?

> Also we would need with various other things like splitting
> the shape if it's larger then a page and we would need to deal with nested
> shapes. Also we would probably need to use the same logic for columns then.

Nested tables shouldn't be a problem per se when using a shape since a shape
can embed other shapes.  The question is then how the splitting can be done.
Perhaps one table shape can "embed" other table shapes, but render them
outside itself, i.e. on subsequent pages. I think that having embedded shapes
that are drawn outside the parent shape is actually possible. At least that's
what we found out when we investigated how to split a chart and its legend
for the chart shape.