List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Tables for KWord, next iteration
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2008-05-16 6:39:45

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Sebastian Sauer wrote:

> 1. TableShape
> I guess this is really the worst thing to go since it would mean we would
> need one textshape per cell  and that sounds like a bad idea specially for
> large tables. Also we would need with various other things like splitting
> the shape if it's larger then a page and we would need to deal with nested
> shapes. Also we would probably need to use the same logic for columns then.

I tried to go this way, but completely lost my way when it came to integrating
with KoText. I still think that tables should be implemented as a shape, but
that doesn't preclude building a table layout thing on top of kotext that
doesn't demand a shape for every cell.

One issue with tables is that in accommodate MS Word-type tables (where
columns vary in size in different rows, so the first column can be 20 in row
1 and 25 in row 2) aren't supported in ODF. OOo fakes this kind of layout --
Qt supports it natively because it support the full html table mess.

The weird thing is that we've already got a table shape: the kspread one. And
there isn't much difference in ODF between a text table and a spreadsheet
table, especially since text tables should support formulas, too.

I have also spent time looking at the table code in abiword, OOo and Qt -- but
it seems that table code is something that everyone who implements it makes a
mess off. Perhaps the problem is hard and the result is unavoidably messy.

In any case, feel free to svn rm the abortive attempt at a table shape I
started in January: I'm still interested, but won't be doing anything about
it at least until after 2.0 is released. And I want to get Krita stable for
that.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi