List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice website re-design
From:       Valerie <valerie_vk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-05-15 9:04:15

> People like Marcel Kaeming and Dreadknight should already be
> working on a krita website. I still want a krita website with
> all the stuff people might need apart from the koffice website.
> This year's LGM made it clear once more that having such a
> website is a prerequisite for getting volunteers and
> building a community.

Okay, as long as they are not basing it on my old design.
Basically, the old design is based on the old KOffice/Kde
design, but if KOffice is getting a new design, there's
no sense using that on another Krita website either.

Also, the way I have in mind, the new KOffice website will
have a Lot more content and interaction: I'm pretty much
counting on:
- a "Help wanted!" section on the front page, right next to
news, for most urgent/important tasks, including but not
limited to coding, documentation, website, "more," etc.
- the contribute section will have a more detailed
list of programmers needed, with an overview by section.
- each section of "contribute" will have its own list of
tasks needed to be done.
- these help sections are replicated (or are linked to/from)
the contribution section of each individual application. If
you go to Krita's contribution section, you'll immediately see
a list of volunteers needed.
- also, I suggest for KOffice to have a GUI Brainstorm blog
like Gimps, except with comments enabled. The idea is to
have a nice visual list of ideas to look through for potential
developers and UI implementers (unlike the mailing list which
frankly, isn't too visual, and the wiki where you'd still have
to click through individual results)

That sort of thing. That's why I think a CMS is needed, to
make sure those sorts of things are easy to update.

As a result, I'd prefer if the Krita2d complements rather than
replicates the contents of the main Krita page. Meaning I'd
rather for Krita2d to be a "community" page, complete with
forums and resources that may be too clunky to classify in
koffice.org/krita. Interaction between the two sites include:

- Krita2d will have a news and "Join!" section that links to
the relevant sections of Krita's KOffice page.

- Most tutorials and other resources will be submitted to
Krita2d, where a voting system is also implemented. With time,
the most popular may get added to the main website, so the main
website doesn't need an overly complex gallery coding, and
refrains from publishing every "junk" submitted to it.

Also, this means the sorting is by popular vote, which means
the web content managers don't need to feel bad about declining
bad resources, but also don't have to deal with stuffing the
site and making good resources hard to find.

- The mailing list is linked from both Krita and Krita 2d.
Same for Krita blogs, etc.

Maybe you should inform those two of what we're discussing about
the main KOffice page. Please send my apologies to them on
making them give up anything they've done up till now, but
this way there'd be better integration later on.

Maybe they can even get inspired to help on KOffice.org . :D