List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Flakey Reports
From:       PiggZ <adam () piggz ! co ! uk>
Date:       2008-04-20 11:29:44

Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Saturday 19. April 2008 23:57:31 PiggZ wrote:
>> I guess its hard to explain.....i probably assume everyone knows how
>> reports work which possibly isnt the case.
>>
>> So, in its simplest form, when you design a report it will have a
>> 'detail' section and be bound to a query.
>>
>> It isnt until the report is rendered that you know how many results will
>> be returned by the query, at which point you have X detail sections, one
>> per row, so the final report will probably and up spanning multiple pages
>> from an initial detail section designed as only a cm high
>
> Ahh, got it :)
> I think this looks quite a lot like what KWord did with regards to
> mail-merge. This feature is not yet present in 2.x so we should probably
> coordinate efforts to make sure we get one implementation that works for
> both of us. I planned to build it on top of the kotext variablemanager.
> Some extra code would then duplicate the shapes rendering the text
> differently based on the next content of the variable.

And dont forget,that was the 'simplest' case.

'Detail' is just one of the possible sections, the others are:
Page Header/footer, in the current implementation there are 5 of each, for
first page, last page, odd, even and 'any'
Report Header/footer, these appear once at the start or end of the report.

Then, where it gets complicated is 'group' header/footer.

There can be any number of these, bound to a column in the dataset,
these 'group' the data by matching values in the dataset.

Example, you collect the amount of rainfall every day, and in the data
record the year, week, day and rainfall  You then want to produce a summary
report by week. You can put a group header on the week column which will
group all the 'day' values together for that week.

Then, you collect data for a few years, and want a summary report by year,
so you can add a year group, and add summaries by year and week.

Your final report might be structured something like:

Page Header
Report Header
Year Header
Week Header