List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Draft of my application for Google Summer of Code
From:       Simon Schmeisser <mail_to_wrt () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-03-26 21:27:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 08:27:15 Inge Wallin wrote:

> This sounds to me like a match made in heaven. :-)

:)

> I'm not sure about the details and your ideas.  In general they sound good
> to me, but may be a bit much for a Google summer of code project. But a
> Flake shape using Marble is something that I wanted to do myself for
> koffice 2.1.

Well, generally speaking I think given the fact that I have many small sub
goals that will be of benefit on their own I do think that not getting
everything done should be considered a failure. It is still a lot though. So
I am currently considering dropping the page templates part and focusing some
more on marble. I didn't do that before, since I expected a GSoC student
working on marble and was therefore expecting a conflict. Should I submit two
applications, one with more focus on marble (support for tile providers like
google maps and others, path editing, improving kml support where necessary)
and the other one like I already have it?

> As one of the two maintainers of Marble, and also for KChart here in
> KOffice (although that has been on the back burner for some time), I
> volunteer to mentor this GSoC project.

Thanks :)

> I see that you have some plans for KPresenter too, and there I may need
> some help.  I don't think that will be a problem, because the KOffice crowd
> is very helpful, and active on IRC.

Someone will step up once I have screwed up the kpresenter code badly
enough ;)

> Other things of interest to you:
>  - I have refactored Marble so that you don't have to use the widget, but
> can use the more abstract MarbleMap for the flake shape.  I did this with
> exactly this project in mind. :-)
thanks again, looks perfectly like what I need, stop doing my work ;)

>  - Marble already has some very basic OpenStreetMap integration, based on
> bitmap tiles, but more advanced support is already planned using vectors.
> If you do work on this, both projects will benefit. There are even plans
> for routing, which may not be of so much interest for KOffice.
Sounds like there is a student interrested in particulary this. Also this
would propably be enough work on it's own and I still want to be able to do a
presentation of this years bike tour afterwards. So dropping all of the
kpresenter stuff would not make sense to me.

>  - Generating a fallback pixmap from marble is done using one (1) line of
> code, so it's extremely simple.
hmm, one line can be pretty long ;)