List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Tables in KWord?
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2008-03-17 9:29:04

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> I fully agree that support multiple pages is important: In some business
> documents even a single CELL can spread more than two pages and it would
> be nice if KWord could do that too, adjusting when data is added/removed.
>
> Tonight I will have a look at the current kword source on the hobby PC to
> get an idea of it ...

The code is still very immature in 2.0: there is some commented-out code
for loading tables and a datastructure in the tableshape plugin.

> Also while OOo Writer does not make that easy, it actually is possible to
> have different cell widths: You select two neighboring cells within the
> same row, then say "Merge Cells", then say "Split Cells: Horizontally" and
> there are your cells having their freely adjustable internal width.

Oh dear -- I didn't know that. We'll need to investigate how OO saves that
construction, since I cannot find direct support for that in the ODF file
format. I sort of guess they'll have an embedded table in that case. But
that's easily verifiable from a simple oo-produced odf doc.

> You can even say "Insert/Table" while editing a table cell's content and
> you will get a nicely embedded table inside your cell, but at least the
> embedded table will be a paragraph of its own.

I did try to design the table plugin to make it possible to put any kind
of shape into a cell, so a group shape containing any number of other shapes
should be possible.

> Also the type of a normal cell's content can be mixed, e.g. having text and
> images together in one cell is not uncommon in OOo Writer: Images do /not/
> necessarily cause a new paragraph, but they can be anchored in all of the
> normal ways offered by Writer (e.g. "As Character").

If we have a text shape as the contents of a table shape, embedded images (as character)
should come for free. Right now, I think embedded images are implemented using the
QChar::ObjectReplacementCharacter character, so that should work.

Boudewijn