List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MS filters
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-03-13 12:56:58

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > that format is so much over-designed that it will be very hard to deliver
> > anything working soon. It starts with the sharedstring-tables, continues
> > with the client-server logic oox comes with (funny they put it into the
> > format itself rather then moving it up the stack to the
> > application-level) and all those additional "optimizations" that increase
> > the complexity even more. Guess I am atm very depressed how bad that
> > format is and how difficult it is to get anything working out of it that
> > is more then translation of some tags :-/
> > imho clearly something that can't be done within ~3 or even ~6 months (I
> > don't talk of styles and other things here, just of not losing content
> > during import).
>
> Ouch! That sounds even worse than what I had heard before.

And now might not be a good time to start working on this. ooxml is not yet an
ISO standard, it might as well never become one. They might as well resubmit
it under the normal ISO procedure in which case ooxml will be very different
than it is now. Besides there are very few ooxml documents in cirulation
compared to doc/xls/ppt ;)

--
Cyrille Berger