On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Werner Trobin wrote: > On Wednesday 12 March 2008 23:20, Boudewijn Rempt wrote: > > On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, cricketc@gmail.com wrote: > > > Where are tables missing altogether? Isn't it in KWord? > > > > Yes. > > > > > If so, > > > couldn't the import filter (once it's writing to an odt instead of a > > > kword format) just put the tables in the odt file, whether or not > > > KWord can read those tables yet? i > > > > Yes again. > > > > > What does KWord currently do with > > > odt's that have tables in them? > > > > It sort of reads the tables and puts the text in the document. > > Hi! > > I'd just like to make that statement a bit more exact: wv2 (the engine that > really reads the .doc file), should be able to parse most Word tables. > However, the KOffice "frontend" which actually generates the kwd file doesn't > create a table from the provided information and just outputs the text > somewhere. > > Ciao, > Werner > > P.S. Yes, image import is missing, even in the engine. The problem is > that .doc files know about 10 different ways to embed an image and at some > point I gave up trying to unify this information to the "outside world", i.e. > provide a sane API for the frontends. > > P.P.S. Unfortunately I don't have the time to act as a Google SoC "mentor", > but I surely can help a little bit. Thanks both of you for the information. Since you've worked with this code, what do you think would be a reasonable goal for an SoC? Convert the msword filter to output an odt? Add basic image support to the filter? Add table support to the filter? All of the above? _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel