List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MS filters
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-12 22:34:29

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 23:20, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, cricketc@gmail.com wrote:
> > Where are tables missing altogether? Isn't it in KWord?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so,
> > couldn't the import filter (once it's writing to an odt instead of a
> > kword format) just put the tables in the odt file, whether or not
> > KWord can read those tables yet? i
>
> Yes again.
>
> > What does KWord currently do with
> > odt's that have tables in them?
>
> It sort of reads the tables and puts the text in the document.

Hi!

I'd just like to make that statement a bit more exact: wv2 (the engine that
really reads the .doc file), should be able to parse most Word tables.
However, the KOffice "frontend" which actually generates the kwd file doesn't
create a table from the provided information and just outputs the text
somewhere.

Ciao,
Werner

P.S. Yes, image import is missing, even in the engine. The problem is
that .doc files know about 10 different ways to embed an image and at some
point I gave up trying to unify this information to the "outside world", i.e.
provide a sane API for the frontends.

P.P.S. Unfortunately I don't have the time to act as a Google SoC "mentor",
but I surely can help a little bit.