List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability GSoC for KOffice
From:       "Aron Stansvik" <elvstone () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-06 13:10:21

Thanks for the quick response.

2008/3/6, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste@kde.org>:

>  Hi Aron,
>

>  > Reading your latest blog post [1] I got the idea of trying to get a
>  > GSoC student doing usability work for KOffice this year. Someone who
>  > could work with the (very important) points you bring up in your post.
>

> Would this be part of a larger project?  As important as the user research is,
>  I don't think it would take 3 months to complete (and I think the Google
>  folks like a little bit of coding to happen).
>
>  What could happen is that the user research could be combined with a UI review
>  which then resulted in issues to be resolved via coding.

Good point, yes that's probably a good idea. We'd need to find a
usability student with programming capabilities or vice versa.

>  > I dropped the idea in #koffice and at least Boudewijn was positive and
>  > said he'd be willing to co-mentor such a project.
>  >
>  > Do you think these issues are something that is fit for a GSoC
>  > project? Is there anyone involved in KDE Usability who could be
>  > willing to co-mentor with Boudewijn (or other KOffice developer)?
>  > Perhaps the second commenter on your post [2] is a possible candidate
>  > even?
>

> I think this is a great idea or also a good idea for the OpenUsability Season
>  of Usability but unfortunately the project application period has passed.
>  (You can ping ellen@openusability.org on the matter if you want).  I do not
>  know the person who commented on my blog so I cannot speak for him.  I hope
>  he does not mind me passing on their email address but it is
>  puelocesar@gmail.com.

I'm sure he don't mind as he seemed eager to help KDE out :)

>  I am mentoring a Season of Usability project, but I have also offered myself
>  to KDE to be able to comentor 1 or 2 projects on usability for the Google
>  SoC.  Even if you find a different design mentor, I will still be happy to
>  give you guys some feedback and direction if you want.

That's great. Before I put it on the GSoC ideas page on techbase,
could other KOffice folks please chime in with their thoughts on how
to concisely formulate this GSoC project idea? Should it cover only
the parts of KOffice that are common to all applications, or should it
"zoom in" and analyze and improve usability also on a per application
basis?

Aron