List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: separating Koffice
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-03-03 14:47:18

On Monday 03 March 2008, Sulyok Attila wrote:
> The logical consequence of the above is that if the developers need to
> issue a Koffice 2.0 package before all the components reach the proper
> reliability, there is two solution: 1. To communicate (similar to KDE 4.0)
> that it is a not fully complete issue and those users whose demands are not
> met within 2.0, are encouraged to use the proper component of the previous
> version (etc 1.5.9) of Koffice,
No that's not a good solution. It was acceptable for KDE4.0 because the
component which wasn't fully complete was the desktop shell, a lot of
applications were (more) ready, but releasing KDE4.0 without the desktop
shell would be like eating a chicken-based meal without chicken.

> 2. To publish a mixed package that contains
> 1.5.9 and 2.0 components.
If by 1.5.9 you mean 1.6.3, then yes. That's the solution, except that there
is no need to release 1.6.3 applications. What we have to make sure is that
we can install and run KPresenter, KSpread and KChart from 2.0 alongside the
other applications from 1.6.

--
Cyrille Berger