List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Summer of Code 2008
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2008-02-27 21:05:50

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > How much work is it to be a mentor? How much time did you spend in the
> > last years to do it? Depending on the amount of work I could be a mentor
> > for kpresenter, flake or odf related work.
>
> It depends on the student: last year I had Marijn (mek) and it was a piece
> of cake. A good student knows when to ask a question and when to go and
> look something up by themselves, and that's something a good mentor should
> stimulate. I think I spend a couple of hours a week on average, not more,
> and often less. It's good fun, too.

what I can underline :)

I guess the first ~2-3 weeks are critical and as such it may needed to spend a
lot of time by helping to setup a buildsystem, guide through the code,
explain things, etc. But once that initial time is done, the time needed to
mentor wents normaly down and may a few hours per week to e.g. review
patches, provide feedback, design solutions or to just answer questions.
Guess most students are well trained to find solutions by there own (so, our
education-system is not that bad [own experience] :-)