List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternate proposal for KOffice 2
From:       Martin Pfeiffer <hubipete () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-02-15 14:48:47

On Friday 15 February 2008 01:11:33 jeff wrote:
> Before I start, if anyone can help me with a fast[er] way to learn Qt[4],
> the KDE framework, and the KOffice framework, I would apreciate it, and
> might be able to actually write something.  I have the book on Qt4, but
> haven't really set up an environment for it.  (I want to still use svn for
> KDE4 because I want to wait until it has some apps and such (like my
> OSX-style menubar) before I use it as my main desktop environment.  I know,
> and read, the faq about building KDE4 on techbase, but there is nothing
> much about KOffice2, and the Qt4 book is really long-winded and mostly a
> follow-along type thing.  Same thing (I think) with the tutorial. (I would
> also prefer something with excersizes rather than 'do this, and this, and
> this, and this, end of ch.1'. ))
Well start coding and start coding for KOffice! :-D This is always good and
the barrier is not so high then you think...

> I think an alternative to holding back certain apps may be in order for
> KOffice development: develop on the KOffice Workspace.
Well now there are several problems with the rest of your mail and there are
simple reasons why it is no alternative for the way chosen for KOffice 2.0 :

First of all you simply are not aware of the amout of work that comes along
with your suggestion. Thought it is all unification of existing technologies
it remains an incredible work which is hugh in comparison to the things that
are needed to make KPresenter releasable.

Second reason is that there are so many different opinions concerning the idea
of a workspace. Some people don't like it at all and everybody thinks of
something else when it comes to the realisation. In fact I am quite happy
that you mentioned my competition entry thought you misunderstood some of the
points. You should look into the recent development for our flake library and
you will find a lot of things realised which were talked about in my entry,
not all like I imagined them but the main concepts are their.

To be honest I thought a lot about how to implement a workspace as described
in my entry with what the flake library gives us and it is not to hard to do.
Still it remains a big piece of work including much brain power. I could
imagine that there will be something like this workspace later but quite some
while after Koffice 2.0 release. But this workspace will most likely be just
a playground for technologies and won't replace the single apps...

I can see how you dream and dreaming is good... you should start contributing
code and make your dreams come true :-D...