List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Toolbox
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2008-02-03 14:51:57

On Monday 28 January 2008, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think the toolbox needs a little bit of love, and some adjustement,
> especially for the integration in Krita.
>
> Here are the problems I have noticed :
>  - "koffice default" tools appears at the top of the toolbar, while it
> might be ok for most application, for Krita they should appears below
> Krita tools (and it might also be better if they only appears when a
> "shape" layer is selected)

I'm not sure I agree with you here. There are a couple of issues: the tools in
this part can also be used to create a shape layer, so they cannot be hidden
by default. Also, to keep a sense of uniformity with Karbon, the position
should be the same.

>  - I also think that spliting into a few categories would be a good idea,
> like "navigation" for zoom and pan, "vectors shape" for "create
> path", "freehand", "pattern" and "gradient"

Yes -- Thomas was going to implement creating categories automatically based
on the "path" in the tool identifier -- but although I remember he told he'd
done that, I've never seen it work. The idea was to parse something like

"default/navigation/pan" into top, navigation section, pan tool.

>  - Krita tools are disappearing when selecting a "shape" layer, after
> discussing with a few users, it appears that most of them are confused by
> this. Some of those tools need just to be disabled (paint tool mostly),
> some are still valid (grid tools, color picker)

Yes, that needs work. It's easy to stop making them disappear, but harder to
disable the useless ones -- we'd have to special code that.

> I don't know if other applications have other problems as well ?

I think the basic interaction design of KOffice2 is sound -- with toolbox, one
toolbar and palettes, but that we could benefit from some really thorough
discussion with interaction designers and usability experts. How about I
draft a mail to kde-usability and see whether they can help us?

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi