List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOfficeSource and KOffice
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-01-15 17:40:03

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > Take, for example, KDEPIM. It's not a registered trademark, therefore
> > > it cannot be owned by KDE eV or anyone else,
> >
> > This is technically incorrect for most countries in the world including
> > the EU and the US.
>
> in fact, this is why there are both (TM) and (R) symbols. the first simply
> means "trademark" (not necessarily registered) while the latter
> means "registered trademark".

Well I happend to have follow a lecture on intellectual property (while the
focus was on pattent and innovation protection, he spoke a little bit about
trademarks), good timing I had say ;p, and in France, he cleary states that
for trademark (and pattents) "no registration means no right" (unlike "code"
that don't need registration to be protected). I also would be carefull with
the (TM) and (R) symbols they might (like the (C) symbol) have no meaning
outside US.

--
Cyrille Berger