List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOfficeSource and KOffice
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2008-01-14 20:46:04

On Monday 14 January 2008, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008 20:52, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> > The "ODF Foundation" affair comes to my mind as a "significant damage".
>
> The ODF Foundation affair was exactly what I had in mind when writing out
> my example :-)
>
> > The problem is, is it possible to write down a list of "significant
> > damages"? I think it's not. My proposal: have some sort of "court"
> > which would receive complaints from people and come with a verdict.
>
> The idea (and problem) behind a term "significant damages" is that it's
> open to interpretation, so it's supposed to cover for possible damages we
> forgot to mention (which is also the problem: it doesn't describe exactly
> what can be worked around and what not).
> Now I'm just thinking that creating a whole administrative structure like
> a 'court' is somewhat over-the-top, it sounds somewhat harder to set up
> properly than just calling the stuff a 're-evaluation commission',
> 'trademark oversight committee' (nice one! :P) or so.
> (A 'court' has several 'annoying' things associated with it, like expensive
> lawyers, and fighting over proper procedures, appealing decisions up to
> some supreme court, drawn-out legal battles, etc. Regulating it all would
> be too much work.)

++
Also I can't help why I keep on to associate a court with corruption. Maybe
cause we see this days how it's done in the USA and the EU? Or maybe cause I
remember what Giovanni Falcone sayed here about 'moving the power onto less
shoulders to easier manipulate'? In any case it feels really wrong from the
beginning till the end.