List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOfficeSource and KOffice
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbr () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2008-01-14 19:35:58

On Monday 14 January 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008, C. Boemann wrote:
> > No I don'tthink they should. Rather I think they should protect the name
> > from anybody using it.
>
> as one of the people charged with keeping e.V. practice and policy in line
> with the desires of the community, would you mind expanding on this?
> by "anybody using it" i assume you mean in a company name? other uses
> (marketing materials, as part of a combined product offering, etc) is still
> ok with you?

Ok following up on your question as well as hearing some of the other parties.
Here goes:

Allowing hard connection to the KOffice name as in using it in another
company/entity name (eg KOfficeSource or "Dudes of KOffice") should not be
allowed, for the simple reason that it is hard to revoke. This is even a
protection of the new company/entity involved, who would be heavy penalised
should they suddenly have to change their name if they don't live up to some
code.

I find it more than likely than any commision would be reluctant to vigoursly
defend such code in gray areas and we'd be on a slippery slope.

Therefore I think we should defend our trademarks 100% and only allow say 2
differnet kinds of associations:

 "Contributer to KOffice 2008" license which is given as soon as say 100 LOC
have been accepted by the project and is unrevokable even if they become or
do closed source.

"Trusted partner to KOffice" licence which some commision could review once a
year, for openness and other stuff as suggested by Bart.

I think it's important to defend our trademarks less they be watered down, to
a point were we sufddenly can't defend them anymore.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann