List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOfficeSource and KOffice
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-01-14 16:45:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 14 January 2008, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008 08:28, Inge Wallin wrote:
> >  * Should the KDE e.V be allowed to sublicense the KOffice trademark to
> > anybody to use? Under which general conditions?
>
> Regardless of the fact that I still do not believe KOffice should be
> trademarkable at all,

why?

> of course it should be sublicensed. Just like I think
> the KDE Logo/Trademarks should be usable by third parties. My opinion on
> the KDE Logo has always been that any use of the logo that is not
> commercial should be allowed, while commercial usage should at least be
> allowed for people/companies doing Free Software. I am of the same opinion
> for any and all KOffice marks.

ah, you mean it should have a liberal licensing program? well, the problem
right now is we have no outwardly visible licensing program. we do need to
fix that.

i've added your thoughts above the growing pool of feedback ... thanks.

> >  * Should KOfficeSource GmbH in particular be allowed to use the
> > wordmark "KOffice" in their (our) name?  Under which particular
> > conditions (ownership, board, actions, etc)?
>
> I have no objections as long as you handle in the spirit of Free Software
> ;-) Unfortunately for you, that might not be the case if you're going to
> write closed-source stuff. If that'd become the case, it's somewhat
> unfortunately chosen that it's called KOfficeSource, while 3rd party people
> can't get your sources.
> I guess we could allow this, with the condition that the owner of the
> trademark (for example the e.V.) requires a periodical evaluation (say,
> once a year), to decide whether you have not damaged the reputation of
> KOffice or so, and retract your license if you would have damaged it
> significantly or so.

who would do the evaluation?
what would constitute "significant damage"?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se