List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Shape Container
From:       "Aron Stansvik" <elvstone () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-05 14:07:07

2008/1/5, Johannes Simon <johannes.simon@gmail.com>:
> Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 22:34 -0800 schrieb Michael Fair:
> > In general, a compound shape idea seems like it will ultimately cause
> > limitations down the line.  It seems reasonable to me that all shapes could
> > have children and children are not necessarily constrained by the window of
> > their parent.
>
> Exactly. It will be easy for us to implement an option that makes the
> chart's elements "float", because it's left to us (subclassing the
> KoShapeContainer class) whether the parent shape (being the compound
> shape) clips its children or not. This option, though, should be turned
> off by default - because of the needed compatability between OOo and
> KOffice. If the chart's children are not clipped and outside of the
> chart's frame in KOffice, saved to ODF, and loaded with OOo, they
> probably won't be visible (not sure how OOo handles this case).

This seems to be somewhat how the QGraphicsScene in Qt works. In a
QGraphicsScene items can be children of other items, and they can
optionally be clipped to the shape of their parent item, if the parent
has the QGraphicsItem::ItemClipsChildrenToShape flag set.

It also has the concept of a compound item in QGraphicsItemGroup.

Just chiming in with some trivia :)

Aron