List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Licensing - Or - How I learned to love kicking people (fwd)
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2007-11-28 9:03:10

> Its really up to the maintainer, naturally. As much as you (apparantly)
> hate the (L)GPLv3, a maintainer can like it and the maintainers decision
> on which license to use naturally should be honored.
Sure and that's why I have honored the decision of maintainers of Krita to
have the libraries exclusively under GPLv2+ and if for the plugins LGPLv2
becomes a problem I will just maintain those plugins elsewhere. Not a big
deal.

> The good part is that KOffice is going towards (might I say, has already
> reached) a strong plugins based architecture and if you want to write
> even closed source plugins against the kofficelibs APIs there is nothing
> standing in your way to do that and maybe even sell it.
>
> And precisely because I think you should have this right is why we should
> keep koffice-libs correctly licensed according to our intend.
Completely agree, and glad that I am not the only one to agree with myself :)

> For example people can't write proprietary plugins for Krita due to its
> libraries actually being GPL. We should make that clear to avoid nasty
> surprises.
That's not completely true. No one can write proprieteray (or non GPLv2
compatible plugins) using Krita's API. But it's completely possible to write
out-of-process proprietary filters, the only things that would need to be
GPLv2 compatible is the part of the bridge that would need to link against
Krita. For those thinking that it would be slow, it's how the gimp work
(reason is to avoid crash by external plugins to crash the gimp) and I also
think that photoshop works that way, but I can't be a 100% sure.

--
Cyrille Berger