List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Berlin Sprint Action List Update
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-09 8:01:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 09 November 2007 06:05:50 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Thursday 08 November 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Monday 05 November 2007 15:46:07 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > * all apps need the style manager, because now everyone crashes
> > > when a new style is added, except KWord. It is a document-wide
> > > resource, so KoCanvasResourceProvider is not the right place. Maybe
> > > KoDocument?
> >
> > There are two things;
> > a) it needs to be stored document wide
>
> I think that is the way we should take.

Well, unless you want to move kotext to komain, I don't see this
happening. Sorry.

> The addShape code is not called during loading of a document, neither
> is it used in copy and paste of pages in kopageapp applications for
> example. So addShape is never called and therefore it does not work.

Not too dramatic Thosten :)
It works fine for most cases, thanks for pointing out that loading still
needs a solution, though.
See my reply to dipesh who wrote that loading code.

> I think we should find a solution that we don't need extra code in
> every application as this duplicates code.

Having an instance in kodocument and linking main to kotext doesn't seem a
very good solution.
Which is and always will be needed when you need this code in the
addShape() method. Which, btw, is a flake interface, and also  not
available in komain.

> I think it is also usefull for kspread. And if we have the feature we
> should make it consistent in all applications we provide. So it should
> be there in every application.

Its not a very useful feature for a lot of our applications, and your
stance just doesn't make sense in many situations anyway.  I mean; if we
have a feature that it should be available in all app, then why don't we
have exactly one application instead of 13?

So, a little less dramatic and more researched opinion on this feature
goes a long way.  IMOHO most apps don't actually have a lot of textshapes
on screen at the same time. And when they do, they tend to not use
styles.  People can use KWord in such a case and embed the content from
the other apps if they want to. I really don't see any problems with
that.
Only KWord/KPresenter really needed this feature in 1.6, now they have it
again in 2.0

--
Thomas Zander