List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2007-11-05 18:18:51

On Monday 05 November 2007, Bart Coppens wrote:

> Personally, I don't like a 6 months release cycle. It's too short for
> KOffice, IMO. Not that I'm coding much these days,

Well, open up your xemacs, vi, kate, pico or kdevelop and start having some
fun again!

> but I really think 6
> months is too short for a relatively small project like KOffice.

We've been releasing twice a year with quite a bit of consistency for quite
some time, I discovered when looking at the release announcements some time
ago:

2001: nov, dec
2002: sept
2003: april
2004: jan
2005: june, oct
2006: april, oct

Now, 2003-2004 KOffice was transitioning to ODF, just like we're now
transitioning to Qt4. That takes time, but after that it's a simple matter of
fixing bugs and implementing new features, no longer of wholesale
refactoring. At least I hope so, because they are exhausting and make us
haemorrhage developers.

And sure, we can do in-between releases, too. when a feature is done in 9
months (if I manage to automate the release process a bit more), but I think
that having a really major release in Q1 and a release with the features that
are ready six months later makes a lot of sense.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi