List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2007-11-05 14:01:11

On Monday 05 November 2007 08:55, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> if you mean "word processor and spreadsheet" then yes, i would agree. and
> with what KOffice 2.x will bring, that comes largely down to an issue of
> filters for MS Office now.
>
> but i really think there's a general selling short of Kexi here, and
> kpresenter could with some love really go far. KPlato could also find a
> good place as its niche is really not well covered (most useful free
> software entries are web apps). Krita is coming along wonderfully as well.
>
> certainly, however, Kexi is an app that should stand a chance on many
> platforms. the problem is almost purely marketing.
>
> <brain dump you probably don't need or want>

Heh, when have I ever said I don't want to be part of a good
brainstorming? :-)

> after all the discussions about finding a way to market the individual apps
> in koffice, this is probably obvious. but i get the sense from your mail
> here that we still tend to refer to koffice as an "all or nothing, lump
> sum" package of tools.

This is not really true, considering the way we are currently looking at
separating the creativity apps Krita and Karbon. But ok, I get your point.

> if i were to have the time/energy/focus to spend on koffice, i'd probably
> focus my energies on promoting Kexi and Krita as stand-alone apps. one foot
> in the creative world, one foot in the information world.
>
> i'd then think about introducing other koffice apps on the coat-tails of
> those two apps. as each app matures into its niche, start promoting them
> from coat-tail-riders to front-liners.
>
> obviously this needs to be done with sensitivity to the efforts being put
> into kword, kspread, kpresenter, etc ... but honestly, the halo effect from
> a successful marketing of Kexi and Krita would probably increase their user
> base more than anything else could at this point.
>
> the biggest thing to impress on the community at this point is that these
> apps are individuals (i'd even go so far as to suggest breaking up the
> koffice package into separate tarballs) and that just because you don't
> like $APP_X (for sound or baseless reasons) doesn't mean you can't enjoy
> all the beauty of $APP_Y.
>
> become nimble.
> </brain dump you probably don't need or want>

This is an interesting way of thought, given that I am right now trying to
find the right angle for my KOffice talk at the KDE4 release event.  We
should probably talk more about this.  Soon.

> > What do you mean with 'semblence of reality'?  In which aspect are we
> > delusional?
>
> now now, i didn't say delusional .. the semblence of reality i refer to is
> this: *buntu is doing very well in the community and increasingly well in
> the actual market place, but that it's by *far* not the dominant player
> there. i'd also caution against expecting current success to be a guarantee
> in the future; eggs and baskets and all that.

Ah, right.  I think you don't have to worry.  We aren't really making a
commitment to always following the *buntu releases, just noting that this
time it is fairly well timed regarding the release of Kubuntu. We can always
later decide to continue with 6 month releases or not do it, depending on
what we want to accomplish.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |