List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2007-11-05 13:31:31

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> obviously this needs to be done with sensitivity to the efforts being put into
> kword, kspread, kpresenter, etc ... but honestly, the halo effect from a
> successful marketing of Kexi and Krita would probably increase their user
> base more than anything else could at this point.

That already works: people are giving the other koffice apps a second look because
they've heard of or seen Krita or Kexi.

> the biggest thing to impress on the community at this point is that these apps
> are individuals (i'd even go so far as to suggest breaking up the koffice
> package into separate tarballs) and that just because you don't like $APP_X
> (for sound or baseless reasons) doesn't mean you can't enjoy all the beauty
> of $APP_Y.

If we distribute the various filters from koffice/filters over the koffice apps,
creating separate tarballs at release time should be easy enough. It may well be
worth considering.

As for the marketing, I'm still not completely convinced by the "katelier" name.
Getting away from k-this and k-that will help us a lot in gaining user acceptance.

I wish we'd gone with Crysen (which means snowflake) Art or Crysen Creative for
the umbrella for the art apps.

Boudewijn