List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: STIX fonts beta released
From:       "Alfredo Beaumont" <alfredo.beaumont () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-01 13:01:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2007/11/1, Benjamin K. Stuhl <benjamin.stuhl@colorado.edu>:

> All,
>   This may be of interest to at least the KFormula folks: the
> long-awaited STIX font project has released the beta version of their
> fonts. The STIX fonts are a Unicode-based font set which is supposed to
> include every glyph required for scientific, mathematical, and
> technical publishing; it's license is supposed to be compatible with
> the SIL Open Font License and (IIRC) the DFSG... it might be a good
> default font for KFormula? (And has the profound advantage that it's a
> _full_ font, not just math glyphs, so you can typeset an entire
> document in it and so not have your math look out of place.) If you're
> interested, the web site is www.stixfonts.org.

Thanks for the info. It seems that their license is now more free, so I
think we should ask both FSF and Debian people what they think about it, I
see point 5 of their license may still be conflictive, but I have no idea.
In case the license is good enough, I think we should package it with
KFormula when it's out, otherwise we should still maintain current font and
let either the distro or the user to install stix if they want (from
1.6STIX fonts should just work as any other Unicode font, so the user
has
always the chance to install the font and select it from kformula).

Cheers