List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/libs/main
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-26 6:20:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 25 October 2007 23:34:43 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > For KOffice 2.0 we should install totally no headers IIRC, since we
> > don't give any guarantee about backwards compatibility.
> >
> > Even worse; I can almost guarantee we'll break any software compiling
> > against it in 2.1  ;)
>
> I disagree, with that. We just should warn the developers that we don't
> offer any guarantee of API/ABI stability. I still want to be able to
> release krita-plugins during the 2.0 cycle, and for this I will need
> the headers from KOffice, Pigment and Krita.

Hi Cyrille :)

As a core krita developer you can keep on developing your plugins easily,
just push your plugins into the krita plugins subdirs. Not sure why we
need to make an exception for you there.
Depending on the time it takes till the next release, I think having a
plugins-release makes a lot of sense.  The text tool and shapeSelector
plugins probably get loads of upgrades independently as well.

The point is more this;
How would you feel if you get loads of bugreports that your stuff doesn't
compile at the next release anymore? I want to avoid that feeling not
only for you, but for all people developing against KOffice installed
headers. And having headers installed quite clearly gives the signal that
people should be able to use it.

Naturally, you can develop any plugin just fine yourself against the
KOffice sourcetree. This is only for making a source-code release.
--
Thomas Zander