List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: *Magick
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-24 16:04:37

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Benoit Jacob wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>
>>> The AMPAS's license appears to be basically the same as BSD.
>> I can't tell, I guess only a lawyer could. I don't know either the
>> software that you're talking about.
>
> The ampas license includes a jurisdiction clause, and that makes it
> incompatible with the GPL.

This license shall be construed pursuant to the laws of the State of
California, and any disputes related thereto shall be subject to the
jurisdiction of the courts therein.

> We did investigate this when CTL was released, because we really
> wanted to use the library.

If the above clause, which is totally redundant because the AMPAS is
located in California makes in incompatible with the GPL, I hope that we
discussed it with the FSF.  Such a clause is a normal part of ANY
contract in the United States.  Perhaps we should consult an attorney
(like the EFF).

--
JRT