List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: A directory for color profiles
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-18 1:22:22

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2007, you wrote:
>>        /usr/share/color/icc/
> I found a problem with this, that means that we need "root" rights when
> installing. And 99% of us don't do a make install with "root" rights, and I
> also don't like the idea of having to be root to install koffice. (I used to
> have my own built of KOffice 1.5 on a system at work where I hadn't root
> rights, and even if I had I wouldn't want to mess up my work system with a
> make install).
>
> One solution is to install in ${PREFIX}/share/color/icc , as most distribution
> install in /usr or /usr/local that would do the trick. But does anyone knows
> how to get the installation prefix in the code ?

We all tend to forget that when we say "/usr/" something that we are
presuming that the app was installed with $PREFIX=/usr which is not
always the case.  Yes, an app should install them in:

	${PREFIX]/share/color/icc

There shouldn't be a need to have the code aware of this IF it looks for
it using either $KDEDIR:

	$KDEDIR/share/color/icc

[KDEDIR being one of the entries in KDEDIRS]

or XDG_DATA_DIR:

	$XDG_DATA_DIR/color/icc

[XDG_DATA_DIR being one of the entries in XDG_DATA_DIRS]

And look for them in one of those places.  XDG_DATA_DIRS now replacing
KDEDIRS.

In either case, it is a matter of user configuration since you want it
to search all the relevant places, not just one.

--
JRT