List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Color models and Krite
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-12 1:21:10

First I note from the documentation:

The CMYK color model
   CMYK is the abbreviation for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK (although
   officially the K stands for Key, black is much more commonly used).
   This color model is based on ink: a color is specified by the amount
   of ink needed for a point to be perceived as having that color.
   Since CMYK colors are used by printers while RGB colors are used
   on-screen, one often wants to convert RGB colors to CMYK colors. As
   this cannot always be done correctly, printed images may turn out to
   look quite different than what is perceived on-screen.

First, I wish to reiterate that this sentence:

	Since CMYK colors are used by printers while RGB colors are used
	on-screen, one often wants to convert RGB colors to CMYK colors.

is not correct.  Print drivers use RGB as input and they convert this to
CMYK.

It would be clearer if you first explained that CMY color model which is
based on subtractive color.  That is you shine light on or through
something and it produces the colors by filtering out (subtracting) the
part of the color which isn't wanted.  And then explained that CMYK is
based on 4 color printing (with ink) where the four images are placed
one on top of the other.

The problem in printing is not the RGB to CYMK conversion, the main
problem is that the color space of a 4 color printed image is much
smaller that the sRGB space (which is the presumed color space of a
monitor).  The image illuminated by reflected light on white paper that
doesn't reflect 100% has a smaller color gamut -- that is the issue.
There is no difference between colors produced with perfect colors in
RGB and CMY (you could also add Grey filters and call this CMYK).  This
is a basic principle of (photographic) color printing.  A secondary
issue in printing is color failure.  Color failure is a fancy term to
indicate that the color in ink or dye are not perfect.

Krita has now reached the point where it can be used.  So, I have tried
it out.  I find out that the color management system is wrong.  What is
referred to in the USA as Bass Akwards.

I loaded my color test targets.  And tired a few things.

First, I find that I can not set the Printing Color Model.  Despite
several attempts, it remains set at: CMYK (8 bit integer/channel)
despite several attempts.  Since most users will probably be printing to
their desktop inkjet printer, CMYK is a *POOR* choice for a default
since the printer drivers need RGB input.

I tried converting the displayed image to a different color image.  I
used Convert Layer Type to convert to Adobe CMYK (8 bit).  With the
default: Perceptual since I don't think that there is any white point
issues here.  Actually, I'm not sure exactly what the choice of
Rendering Intent here would do.  Does it override the default set in the
KCM?  If so, I would change the KCM slightly.

The colors of the image on the screen changed which is correct and is
what I would expect in Adobe PhotoShop.  This happens not because of the
conversion from RGB to CMYK by because Adobe RGB has a larger color
gamut than Adobe CMYK.

Then I saved the image as PNG.  The thumbnail didn't look quite correct
so I opened it in KolourPaint (which IIUC doesn't have color
management).  The colors are not the same.  This is WRONG.  Changing the
color profile changes what the data represents, you do NOT change the data.

Apparently what is happening is that when the color profile of the image
is different than that of the screen that a Save To results in the
saving of the modified data which is being displayed on the screen
rather than the actual data (before it is modified to be displayed).

Is it possible to add a color profile for the Fuji Frontier
printer/Fujicolor paper combination.  This is what you usually get if
you order actual photographic prints from a one-hour place.  Commercial
labs probably have a Durst printer which would be slightly better, but
having something for photographic printers would be nice.

--
JRT