List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Koffice IM
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-11 17:41:51

On 10/11/07, Michael Schmidt <schmidtm524@googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> have to correct, there is an common integrated adressbook, which can
> offer contacts to email and IM, both, that wanted I to say.
> But by the way, this posted, woudn īt it be a good idea to have Kmail in Koffice?

KOffice is a pretty integrated thing, and I don't see KDE-PIM fit in
that. Kmail belongs in PIM, not in KOffice...

> and why not the serverless IM as a preview product?

Why would only one application and  protocol be supported? Get support
for that protocol in Telepathy, and it will be supported by all KDE
and Gnome apps who (want to) have any kind of IM support in the
future.

Is this about the protocol (in which case you should ask the
Telepathy, a cross-platfrom IM-layer supporting multiple protocols) or
about the GUI (in which case you should contact the developers of the
current KDE chat applications, like KMess and Kopete).

It is highly unlikely the application you mention would ever become
part of KOffice or KDE-PIM - if it becomes a part of KDE, it would do
so in the KDE-Network module. But it would only have a chance if it is
much better than Kopete and offers tight integration in KDE (as
opposed to just use Qt). As it seems to support only one (rather
obscure) protocol, I don't see it enter KDE anytime soon.

> Well, much work is fine, but it would be a good announcement for 2,0.
> Second as well Thunderbird is integrating IM and third OOo needs an
> Email client as well.. so this way KOffice could be much more
> innovative than OOo, that was the second statement i was told for
> Koffice 2,0. (even portable to windows).

The KDE technology makes integration between applications very easy,
but the apps don't have to be part of the same module. IM support to
all KDE applications will be delivered by the Decibel infrastructure
(which uses Telepathy, the project I pointed you at where you can
promote your protocol for inclusion).

> Sorry, I am not very familiar with linux, so just use the impuls for
> koffice 2,0 with Mail and IM, and maybe you can add the serverless
> one.

Again, not something the KOffice ppl can or would do. If you want to
get support for this protocol, go to the Telepathy ppl. Their support
will get you in ALL major linux applications soon - like Gaim/Pidgin
and Kopete.