List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Embedded documents and shapes
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2007-09-30 16:37:56

On Sunday 30 September 2007 16:53, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> On Sunday 30 September 2007 16:18:54 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > I have a question about embedded shapes and documents, in my case charts,
> > but the question itself is more general.
> >
> > Currently KSpread embeds a chart inside a <table:shapes> tag, inline in
> > the document.  KWord embeds the chart inside a <draw:frame>, but also
> > inline.
>
> The relevant sections are:
> 8.3.4 Shapes

Chapter 8.3.4 says:
 "The table:shapes element contains all graphics shapes with an anchor on the
table this element is a child of."

However, where does it say that a chart is a graphics shape?  9.3.3 says that
a chart is an "Object", which I'm not sure if it's something completely
different or a sub- or superset of shape.  I'd guess something different.

In 9.6.1 (Presentation shapes) it says that graphics are 'standard graphic
shapes' while charts are 'standard objects shapes'.  Interestingly enough,
the words 'object shape' appear here for the first time, and are not defined
earlier.

David?

> 9.3 Frames

9.3.3, again, defines an object as either something with an XML representation
(ODF types formulas, charts, spreadsheets, texts, drawings, presentations) or
binary blobs.  That charts are mentioned here makes me believe even more that
they cannot be just saved inline, at least without a frame.  To represent
objects with an XML representation it says to use a <draw:object> tag.

Furthermore, 9.3.3 continues

"The object data can be called in one of the following ways:
 * The xlink:href attributes links to the object representation as follows:
    [deleted, describing how to embed a document]
 * The object data is contained in the <draw:object> or <draw:object-ole>
elements as follows:
    - The <draw:object> element contains the XML representation of the object,
for example an <office:document> or <math:math> element.
    - [deleted]
..."

This suggests that neither kword nor kspread is correct because they don't use
a <draw:object> tag, but that actually creating a new embedded document is
not necessary.  Have I read this correctly?

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |