List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Task control/Document control in kplato
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-26 9:44:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 11:15:28 Dag Andersen wrote:
> > I have just one observation; your proposal looks a LOT like what several
> > solutions have done in a web-based form. Which I dislike due to the poor
> > usability those apps tend to provide. Competing with such apps may not be
>
> Do you have any more specifics on usability probs? (Don't want to make the
> same mistakes.)
> By "such apps", do you mean project management in general or document
> control specifically?

I was specifically talking about so called "Enterprise content management"
frameworks.
For example
http://www.alfresco.com/products/ecm/screenshots/2.0/check_in.png
or in general;
http://www.alfresco.com/products/ecm/screenshots/

The usability problems are due to the fact that they are always webbrowser
based, which has its own set of problems.
The other major one is integration; they separate file-management from the
application interface. Meaning that you are required to save a file somewhere
in your homedir and find it from your webbrowser again to upload it.
My suggestion was to integrate it with the app so the user doesn't even know
the doc is saved on his HD, he for sure doesn't need to provide a directory.

> > the best long term strategy. Working better with them by actually
> > implementing support in the apps (much like my initial suggestion doc
> > outlines) may be a better long term solution.
>
> For kplato in general I need more than document control.
> As I see it, the "report status/progress" dialog would be the same (or very
> similar) wether it's called from a koffice app or from my "work package"
> app, and I'd think the solutions can coexist. Providing both would mean
> some extra legwork in kplato, though.

Right,
one of the ideas I heard was to work with big players in the enterprise
content management market.  These ECM packages tend to provide document
workflow with things like routing a document to different people.  Much like
I suggested in my PDF.
Based on that already existing functionality you may be able to talk to the
ECM vendors and get a web-service api to which you can upload the document
after you show your dialog inside the application.
Not sure how best to provide the dialog inside apps, though. As there
certainly is work required in the application to do so. Which we can do in
KOffice, but I have troubles seeing that done in your "work package" app (I'd
love to be proved wrong there, naturally)

--
Thomas Zander