List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New KOffice sprint
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-25 10:17:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 25 September 2007 10:23:04 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Yeah, that I fully agree on.  But would it not be a lot better to get
> > functionality in place and obvious bugs fixed first?
> > We already have a gradient tool. It may not be wonderful, but it does the
> > job. Making it better and integrated is something that has a much lower
> > priority on my list than something like making KPresenter be able to
> > start from a shipped template.
>
> Thanks to Peter it is possible to load templates since last week.

Wonderful!
I think its very very important that a user trying out our apps can play
around with the functionality we have there. That is the only way that people
can get an impression of the direction the app is taking.
And if there are rough edges, that typically is the easy way to get new people
on board since those are not too hard to fix.
So IMOHO the very high-priority ones in kpresenter are things like switching
pages and setting up animations. Most of the non-visible stuff is already
done, but as long as there is no GUI for it users will not be impressed.
Sorry, thats how things work. People want buttons/widgets, not code.

> > Bottom line; kchart, Kivio, KPresenter all have a lot of very basic stuff
> > that doesn't work yet. Talking about a docker thats suboptimal but does
> > the job just doesn't qualify as important. At least to me.
>
> How about helping KPresenter and Kivio by porting stuff like text run
> around shapes from kword to kotext so that all applications can use that
> feature?

To be very clear; I don't want to blame any person in any way. That some apps
have gotten less attention is in no way any persons fault. So forgive me if
my mail made you feel differently.  My main goal here is to get more people
working on our apps.

As to that run-around feature; that's a KWord only feature that requires
KWFrame and is not going to be available in other apps in its current form.

> Also having the page variables work also for kopageapp based
> applications would be great.

Ok, I thought that worked just fine. I'll take a look at why it broke.

In that vain; please do post questions on these things, I was under the
impression it already worked (since I wrote support for this quite some time
ago).
I will obviously miss some problems since I don't test all apps a lot, I
depend on you guys to give me feedback!

Cheers! :)
--
Thomas Zander