List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New KOffice sprint
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2007-09-24 21:00:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 24 September 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:

> As far as I can tell the agenda does not contain anything that actually
> requires a real life meeting.
> You said it yourself in another mail on this thread; your TODO is very
> full. That to me means you don't really need a meeting to pose any hard
> questions.  You for sure are not sitting idly by waiting for big
> decisions to be made before you can do anything, right? :)

I'm getting the impression that you feel having a real-life meeting will
actually cut into the time people would otherwise have spent hacking on
KOffice?

Speaking just for myself, a weekend in Berlin will give me a) 8 hacking hours
on the train (which is by itself what I usually can afford to spend on
KOffice in a weekend) and two whole days of energizing interpersonal contacts
and discussions interspersed with useful hacking sessions. It's not as if I'd
think "well, I would have been away anyway, so I will isolate myself from my
family for two days and spend that time hacking".

The value of a real-life meeting should also be measured in the motivation and
enthusiasm it can give people; it is much more motivating to sit down
together and talk and hack during a special weekend than to be told that
you'd better stay home and work.

> And getting an integrated whole is more important then getting KOffice2.0
> out? Sounds like a lot of polishing to me. And that's not on our list of
> goals for 2.0

Well, everyone to their own. I'd rather not describe integration and usability
as a lot of polishing. I want to focus on making sure all KOffice
applications work the same way, and work well.

> > We need to focus on making sure all
> > KOffice applications work the same way, and work well. Working on
> > making create spec resources like gradients and patterns work
> > KOffice-wide is a good thing too. That will probably be seriously
> > expedited by a face-to-face meeting that includes Jan, Sven and
> > Thorsten, followed by a hack session.
>
> Yeah, that I fully agree on.  But would it not be a lot better to get
> functionality in place and obvious bugs fixed first?
> We already have a gradient tool. It may not be wonderful, but it does the
> job.

It's not about the tool. It's about the gradient resource files themselves --
and similar things.

> Making it better and integrated is something that has a much lower
> priority on my list than something like making KPresenter be able to
> start from a shipped template. And we don't really need a koffice-wide
> meeting to start working on that, do we?

People are not interchangeable resources. You don't magically get Krita people
to work on KPresenter because you think that's where the prioritiy should be.
You can get people sharing on a piece of common infrastructure that will make
life easier for everyone. "We" don't work on KPresenter: Thorsten does. And
admit that he's made a whole lot of good progress in the past few weeks :-)

Anyway, let's just say we've noted that you don't think that a real-life
meeting would useful right now. I hope lots of people disagree because I'm
really looking forward to a stimulating, inspiring and productive meeting.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi