List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Formula Shape - Inferred rows
From:       Martin Pfeiffer <hubipete () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-07-21 19:56:20

> > This is something I'm not against, but unrelated. Someone should be in
> > charge of it, be it called KFormula or FormulaShape, and I think that
> > person is you.
>
> Well, I am against it.  At least if my uses of it can't be solved by the
> flake shape.  One thing I have used KFormula to do is to create formulas
> that I have then exported to bitmaps and imported into other applications.
This will be still possible with the flake shape. There is already a separate

> Also, since MathML is an established file format, we should have an
> application that can read it, and show it. The latter also suggests that we
> should keep KFormula as a kpart so that it can be used in konqueror and
> other places to display MathML files.
Well this reader functionality don't has to be a part of KOffice. I think it
would be possible to reuse the flake shape to show MathML content in other
applications.

> So I suggest that we create a policy that says that if there is a file
> format that is best handled by one of the KOffice components, we should
> keep this component as an application, a KPart and also a flake shape.
Well the thing with keeping KFormula is that someone has to integrate all the
flake stuff into KFormula which would be just a wrapper.

> Another, but perhaps less important reason, is that if we start to remove
> applications, we may soon not be able to call KOffice 'the most
> comprehensive office suite in existence'. :-)
We would not loose functionality but a application.

Cheers!