List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kspread plugins?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-06-22 9:01:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 22 June 2007 10:37:19 Tomas Mecir wrote:
> 2007/6/22, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>:
> > As loads of places now have plugins, I'd like to know what the
> > kspread developers are thinking of doing the same for individual
> > cells.
> >
> > Someone linked to this page on IRC;
> > http://blog.outer-court.com/archive/2007-06-22-n66.html
>
> [cut]
>
> > Anyway, any kspread devs want to share their plans for this?  Maybe
> > even give an opinion on what is missing to have this done in 2.0 ?
>
> We do have things like this already. Functionality is mostly inherited
> from koffice core libs, if I understand it correctly. In
> kspread/plugins, there are some plug-ins, which get loaded into
> KSpread through KParts, using the .rc file which adds them to menus.

KParts are useless for this kind of plugin, really.  Its not used in flake
and the various other plugins in KOffice anymore. Only in Krita and other
parts they are still used.

This part;
> > by having a way to hook a plugin into
> > one cell so that one cell can use the output of the plugin.
> > [This] means to define an interface with a way to get the
> > value that will be used in the cell.
is a better strategy where you have a much smaller API for the plugin to
worry about and a lot more power at the same time since you require it to
implement an interface.

--
Thomas Zander