List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    MetaData framework
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2007-06-12 12:57:00

Hello,

I have started to implement the new metadata engine for Krita2 (a replacement
of the Exif engine which was, well, tied to Exif), the new one is designed
around XMP and RDF (some RDF features are not in XMP, and are not supported
yet by the framework) which is much more extensible. But it shouldn't be tied
to any storing backend.

Here is the page where I put my thought on handling metadata : [1], it's very
specific to Krita.

And the starting implementation here : [2] and the editor [3] (it's a page
dialog whose page are created from UI file which allows to get extension)

I don't think metadata is handled differently in other applications than in
Krita, unless OASIS decide not to go the XMP/RDF road for ODF, but reading
[4] I think it will. So if there is an interest, I am ready to share the
framework.

While the design was conceived to be adapted to krita's need, I accept
constructive comments to make the framework usuable by other application,
including:
 - comments on the API, especially I am not very happy with my use of
QVariant, I need the Value class because of the need to associate a
PropertyQualifier, but I wonder if there isn't a better way to handle this,
maybe Q_DECLARE_METATYPE, but it looks worse to me)
 - and if you need more (but not less)

Don't forget to CC me if you want me to see your answer.