List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [office-comment] Data Type Specification and
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-08 23:49:11

> That shouldn't be a problem if your computer has an Internet
> connection. KSpread could just poll xe.com,

Whatever method is used to convert currencies, I do not think it
should be chosen implicitly because the correct conversion rate may
depend on the specific application.  Often when I receive invoices for
example, the conversion rate from USD or EUR to GBP is a fixed value
specified ( I think ) by Customs and Excise.

For other spreadsheets I have worked with, the conversion rate will be
specific for each order, so adding the USD value from an order at the
start of the month and the USD value from the order at the end of the
month and performing a conversion to GBP will produce an invalid
result.

I agree with the basic concept, but I think that any form of implicit
conversion between currencies is risky - unless that conversion is
done using some fixed value in the spreadsheet.

I also see currency conversion errors in spreadsheets frequently.
Newer versions of Excel can spot inconsistant formulae and other
common mistakes which is useful, I would be surprised if that didn't
include any currency conversion checks - but it is still quite
primitive in that the produced warnings are easily overlooked.

Regards,
Robert.