List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    MS Word (.doc) file format
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-31 7:46:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I have spoken with a Microsoft employee and he assured me that any person
can contact Microsoft and request the full specification of the binary
fileformat of MSOffice before 2007.
I have not looked at the actual license, but the direct question if that
person can use it to implement a loader in open source for an open source
office suite was answered affirmative.  The only thing I found is not
possible is that I can request it and then give it to other people. The
license forbids that. The other people have to request the document from
microsoft themselves.

The document was almost 2 cm thick, on double sided A4. So a bit thicker
as the 6000 pages OOXML spec ;)

I gather from MS that they fully go for the new XML fileformat and
therefor its not needed anymore to be closed about the previous
fileformat.

If someone has the inclination, this certainly is a nice opportunity.
--
Thomas Zander