List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Color selection widget
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-05-29 6:50:29

Casper Boemann said the following, On 2007-05-29 00:38:

> The same is true for most basic KWord and KPresenter users. When they choose a
> different color for text it is typically to markup some text. The colors they
> can use for this are indeed possible to calculate in a dynamic fashion. But
> the suggestions we would come up with for white would be the entire rainbow.
> For say a brown background we would be better at suggesting good opposite
> text colors. But still I feel it would be much better if we somehow guided
> the user to create a good swatch (or imported one)
>
> As Jaroslaw noted it would be nice to store swatches inside the templates and
> and let this swatch widget present that to the user. In the same way I think
> we should save the swatch along with the document
>
> I think we should only present one swatch to the user (wiith some half-hidden
> way to load another), but not something like a very visible combobox.
>
> With respect to recent colors then I think they are useful, but only if the
> swatch itself is larger than can be quickly looked through. If the swatch
> only consist of 10 colors then showing the 5 most recent colors somewhere
> else would just be overload.

Yeah I agree. And be sure that I support idea of sharing swatches KOffice-wide
and having at least three styles supported by every app that also share color
scheme. Add Kexi to the list of apps that can support the idea in 2.x: reports
(and optionally - forms) can use common color schemes.

Also in Kexi case -- scheme-based colouring and font styling -- is a key to
having manageable look of resulting application created with Kexi, since we
have dozens of places where color can be set, and color roles defined once and
used everywhere.

I think about ODF-compatible way for having color sets file format, preferably
with color roles defined, or maybe with ODF character/paragraph styles
connected to given roles. Example of roles in Kexi's form/report window can
be: a style of total/subtotal section, page/report header (exactly can be
mapped from word processor's heading style) and so on.

(RFC)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek